Thursday, June 14, 2012

Second Helping of Ice cream.

I went over to a family friend's place today with my mom. The friend served chocolate ice cream. Me being be, I asked for a second helping. She was pleased that I had considered her close enough to ask for a second helping. Apparently, it's not a norm to ask people second helpings when you are visiting them.

However, when I got home, my mom said she was embarrassed that I had committed such a grave social mistake. How could I ask for a second helping? What if she did not have any more ice cream? What would people think? Didn't I know my dad didn't approve of me asking things/taking help from others?

I do not know what people would think, but I sure as hell spent a lot of time thinking this strange behavior.

What exactly is the point of calling people friends if you can't even ask them for a second helping of ice cream? Forget about sharing joys and sorrows. Forget about letting them in on a secret. So, who exactly are these people if they aren't friends? And come to think of it, who are friends?

I do not mean friends in the broad term when I ask the question. I am asking about the real deal. Who are those people who you can bare your soul you, who can be let in on your darkest secrets and you wouldn't mind? Are these the people who you have never judged you?

There are the open booked people, who always tend to have the fair share of friends. And then there are people like me, who need years to built trust, and only a second to doubt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chestnut Tree CafĂ©—Stop For a Snack to Stab Your Friend in the Back

This article was first published a long time ago during my undergraduate days. 13 April 2012, to be exact. It was written by me and edited...