Friday, April 24, 2015

Of Superheroes Movies, Comics, And All Things Fantastical. Almost.

My room mate is a huge comic books fan. Actually, she is a comic books, superhero movies and manga fan, to be precise. And so today, sometime during the noon she calls me up from the library asking if I wanted to go for the new Avengers movie. Me being me, just spoiling for a chance to leave the university campus, I agreed immediately and we booked the 4:30 show.

The movie was pretty amazing! I had a fun time.

But, once I left the theater, or maybe while even inside, I kept thinking how I really don't get superhero movies. Don't get me wrong, I have seen quite a few of those. I love a lot of those characters too. But today, while sitting in the hall, and afterwards, I just realized how pointless it all was.

The last movie before today was Fast  and Furious 7, and although the ending dedication to Walker was beautiful, the rest of it hardly made sense! Come to think of it, the couple of movies I saw before that- Happy New Year and Bang Bang were just as bad. So, there is a possibility that it is the cumulative effect of all of these bad movies put together.

However, at the end of the day, I realized what really bothered me is that there isn't much of an actual storyline; just a lot of really cool special effects that shows people destroying other people and/or machines. And I just can't seem to muster enough enthusiasm for that anymore. Maybe, I am getting old. Or maybe I still wish for a little more emotions and human drama in general.

That being said, I do not condone fiction or fantasy. I love the world of wizardry and witchcraft created by Rowling. I am hooked to the Game of Thrones currently being played in the Seven Kingdoms. And upon contemplation, I think the reason is because they have strong characters with basic human emotions and flaws, and a strong plot.

But, I couldn't feel the excitement that comes with the cool gadgets of Tony Stark, or the super cool killing abilities of the Black Widow. And it bums me out a little. I had always been a self proclaimed I was a Nerd Queen.

Then again, I can't wait for the new Stars Wars movie releasing this Christmas. So, maybe not all is lost yet.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chestnut Tree CafĂ©—Stop For a Snack to Stab Your Friend in the Back

This article was first published a long time ago during my undergraduate days. 13 April 2012, to be exact. It was written by me and edited...