Saturday, March 14, 2015

Two Decades #Together

The most memorable day for me was 27 January this year, when I went on a road trip with my best friend, who I was meeting after more than two years!

Next month will mark the twentieth anniversary of our friendship, and considering that both me and her have yet to reach the suitable age to have a quarter life crisis, I could safely say that we have been friends for almost our entire lives.

The person in question is my oldest and dearest friend Ameey Anupam. She and I were put together in the same class in Nursery, and by some stroke of fate, never had our sections changed for the next 12 years, till Class 10, when she had to move to Delhi to complete her +2.

6 March 2012


During our school days, as we got to know each other, we became inseparable. And even though not all our interests matched- she being an artistic, basketball champ, me being a singer and quiz club member, we did get along fantastically well. So much so that we also shared our first crush! But that's a story I am not ready to share on social media.

After Class 10, I was a little worried that the distance between us, and the fact that she would be in a brand new city making loads of new friends would eventually make us grow apart. But we did manage to keep in touch. And not just the customary once a month "hello, what's up?". Despite our distance, we actively kept track of each others lives, trading book reviews and boyfriend troubles.

Once we graduated from high school, we both ended up in different cities again for our college life. But, with another stroke of luck, her father moved to the city where I was studying, Calcutta, and over the next three years, we kept meeting up during vacations, having sleep overs and exploring the city together with her family.

So, a couple of years ago, when she had to move to Chennai and me to Delhi for our higher studies, I was sure we would meet up again soon. I had realized fate did have a way of working things out for us and wasn't too worried. But, something or the other prevented us from meeting every time we planned.

And, when 2015 arrived and I realized it would soon be 3 years since we hadn't met, we both decided we had to proactively work to prevent that from happening!

So, I was going home to meet my parents and go on a field survey for my thesis and then attend a wedding, and Ameey was returning home for some much needed family time after acing her grand viva, and we decided to meet up no matter what!
So, she took a train all the way from Calcutta to my hometown in Bokaro, to spend the day with me, and then travel back to Calcutta the next day with me and my family.

What resulted was an evening in the city where it all began and then an amazing road trip to talk, laugh, sing, be merry and compensate for the last two years of not seeing each other.

I hadn't been that happy in a long time. I can't explain how rejuvenating it is to be together with people who matter the most to you! It doesn't matter how long ago you met, or even how less you have interacted over the last few months, due to hectic schedules. You just know that the other person will always be there for you. You know that in times of doubt, she won't hesitate to tell you the right from wrong, in times of sorrow, she will always lend you her shoulder to cry and in times of joy, and she will be nothing but ecstatic for you. You know that #together you can conquer every battle!

26 January 2015


And we bring out the best in each other, just as https://housing.com/ is bringing out the best in housing in India!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chestnut Tree CafĂ©—Stop For a Snack to Stab Your Friend in the Back

This article was first published a long time ago during my undergraduate days. 13 April 2012, to be exact. It was written by me and edited...