Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The World Remade

The political, social and anthropological history of the world is a fascinating read. Any good book delving into our past brings out many astounding facts and figures that most of us have chosen to forget over time.

The beauty of the world we live in, and the struggle of man and nature to reach where we are today is an incredible journey spanning centuries. So much has changed, starting from the prehistoric era, which all started with a big bang (excuse me for that line, but the song is super catchy, don't you think?) to the current scenario, where everyone is worried about the climate change, and we are all eagerly awaiting the COP21 summit to be held this December in Paris. We have come a long way. Yet, we can't say we did it all right. We made a lot of mistakes, and sadly we are continuing to do so.

So, I would like to take this opportunity to list three main things that I would like to change if I could remake the world.

MORE LOVE AMONG PEOPLE 
I understand that violence is a way of life. Many civilizations have flourished by destroying others, many races have prospered by plundering others,and many countries have grown at the cost of other. The need of power is the root of all violence. And I can not expect the world to be completely free of violence. That is not only overtly ambitious, but also anthropologically impractical.
But I want a world where there is more love and understanding among people. As Lennon wrote the immortal lines "Give Peace a Change", I want the world to give it a fighting chance. I want a world where violence is not the only option; where discussions are invited, and force is not the only solution.



STOP OVERVALUING MONEY
Being a student of economics, I read about the "intrinsic" value of money a long time ago. The term basically means that the notes in themselves have no value whatsoever. It is only by the backing of the government or the central bank that we are able to use it to buy and sell products. And just imagine, how gaga we are over printed paper, to the extent that we let it affect our important relationships.
So, if I had the chance to build a new world, I would make money take the backseat. A lot of things are way more important than money. Sharing a meal with loved ones, long walks with a pet, reading stories to your kids or just looking at the night sky to name a few. I strongly feel that a lot of world's trouble will go away if we just stopped valuing everything with money.



ENOUGH WITH THE ANTHROPOCENE
We can't ignore climate change anymore, and the road to mitigation is daunting at best. So, if I had to change the world, I would change the way humans have affected all aspects of the earth negatively, be it the atmosphere or the biodiversity, especially in the recent years. I would love to have a world where we care more about nature; a world where we don't exploit resources for monetary benefits, but learn to live sustainability with the nature.


However, we haven't done everything wrong. And there is one crucial thing that I wish would flourish in the new world- the human spirit! Our undying faith in humanity, or unwavering hope for a better world, our strength in adversity and our compassion in times of peril is a thing to uphold and cherish.

And it doesn't really matter if we can or can not change the world, because as long as our human spirit is alive, we will continue to figure out a better way of life.

I am participating in the #TheWorldRemade activity at BlogAdda in association with India Today #Conclave15


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chestnut Tree CafĂ©—Stop For a Snack to Stab Your Friend in the Back

This article was first published a long time ago during my undergraduate days. 13 April 2012, to be exact. It was written by me and edited...